Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Making Sense Of It All

This C.S. Lewis class was nothing like what I expected it to be. I had always loved the Chronicles of Narnia and thought that’s the only kind of writing C.S. Lewis produced. I knew that C.S. Lewis was a Christian and that he had other writings, but what I found out is that Lewis wrote a lot more then children stories. Lewis was a Theologian.
I had never been a big fan of Theology and coming into this class was very skeptical. The reason I didn’t like Christian Theology is because I feel it tries to bring God down to “our level” so that we can find a way to understand what he does. I am not saying that trying to understand what God is doing is wrong. It’s that we tend to start believing these theories as if they were completely true. This is where my problem with Theology comes in. I felt that this kind of thinking takes away from God, because there is no way to really understand the way God works except for what he tells us. I wasn’t sure what I would get out of this class.
I was surprised after about two weeks in, when I noticed that I was actually learning a lot in this class. I was learning to think for myself. I had always grown up believing everything that I had heard from the bible and what people told me about it. I never really stopped to think about it for myself. This class required me to think every day about different aspects of God and the way he works. Bible verses that I heard before, but never really stopped to think about them were presented to me every day. This class brought up ideas and points about these verses that I had never even thought of before.
I was glad that I got to see C.S. Lewis for the person that he really was. After reading a lot of these essays and excerpts. It was nice to see that C.S. Lewis was a normal man. A lot of times after reading something by him you felt that he was a “superman” who lived this glorious and perfect life. After seeing through this class that he was just a normal human being, it reassured me that I can live a good life.
One of thing that I took from this class was new look on education. I had never really though about my education that much until this class. I don’t know why this class gave me such a new look on it, but it did. After reading “Our English Syllabus” I began to see education as a tool to get where I want to in life. That education is a system and not learning. It’s a system that uses learning as a tool. I was never big on education, and had always thought of education and learning as the same thing. This essay really showed me that If we can find a way to use Learning to further our education that education can get you to where you want to go. I have a brand new look at education.
This is not the only thing that I have gained from this class. As I said earlier this class has helped me look at God’s word and God in my own way. It has made me feel that the relationship that I have with God a more personal one.
It was also nice to see the relationship between my two professors. It was nice to see that they were living what they were teaching in this class. They “practiced what they preached”. The love they showed for each other and for their students really showed that they believed what they were teaching. This really helped me really believe what they were saying.
This class is great. It is great to see inside the mind of a great Christian thinker. This class has really helped me in looking at Christian Theology in a different way. I still feel sometimes that theology can be dangerous, but I what I have found out is that it helps us think and remember what God had done for us and how grateful we should be. I loved listening and sometime participating in the arguments and discussions in this class. It was nice to hear what other people thought and how they felt. That they were thinking about the same things that I was. Most of all it reminded me that I am not in this alone, but that there are other there. That we are there for each other, and that Christianity is about family. I loved learning with such a great group of kids who share the same basic belief that I do. That is that Jesus Christ is our Lord and Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment