Thursday, January 8, 2009

Meditation In A Toolshed

Meditation In A Toolshed is a short essay written by C.S. Lewis. he begins the essay by putting us in the toolshed with him. he says "I was standing today in the dark toolshed. The sun was shining outside and through the crack at the top of the door came a sunbeam. From where I stood that beam of light, with specks of dust floating in it, was the most striking thing in the place. Everything else was almost pitch-black. I was seeing the beam, not seeing things by it."
I know i am not the strongest writer or reader. Unlike my peers I will probably not see things as deep as they do. I tend to look at things very plain and practical. Lewis talks about the difference between looking along things and looking at things. What i took from this is that what we see is not what other people see. Lewis talks about and compares different people in different careers and positions in life. its really helped me see that there is always a different point of view or experience that will effect the way someone perceives something. As an obvious result what your seeing will be different from someone else. Thats why Lewis says you most learn to look along something and see it from different "angles" rather looking at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment